Sunday, March 6, 2011

The Right Word


The difference between the almost right word & the right word is really a large matter--it's the difference between the lightning bug and the lightning.
- Mark Twain



I once read an article about Jamie Lee Curtis in which she said that by changing a single word in her vocabulary she could experience an entire attitude shift. Instead of "I have to do XYZ tomorrow" she began saying "I GET to do XYZ tomorrow."

Tomorrow I GET to write. Deadline met and waiting to hear from editors if it's what they had in mind, I GET to write on the book I love.

I have no idea what will become of this book. Some major editors/houses have really loved it but I no contract do I have (I don't get it, either). So, it's not always about the words or the writing or the right attitude, as a writer you Have to accept that. That's a cold hard fact worth learning, no matter how many times a writer tells you (and I've noticed this advice often comes from published authors that want to believe this )  : "Just write a good book. Just concentrate on the work and that's the best way to get (published, noticed, reviewed, sales, whatever the discussion is)."
Good books languish all the time. Bad books sell. And bad books fail and good books soar. Good and Bad are relative any way (and if you don't believe that, you should meet MY relatives).
You can't be bitter about it. You can't let it affect your desire to keep writing. You shouldn't let the unfairness of it all push you into poor choices.

It's like that saying, they can kill ya, but they can't eat ya? They can reject ya, but they can't kill your words. You get to keep writing (even if you have to find another way to get your work to readers)

One of the blessings of "HAVE TO" is it makes the "GET  TO's" all the more sweet.

Every word matters.  Every day counts.

Be Inspired!
                        The Book I Write (Spoon) from Stranger Than Fiction