Thursday, April 1, 2010

Stolen Moments

It's April Fool's Day. I'm a writer. That's like an engraved invite to be totally outrageous in posting, well, anything today. I sat here for an hour trying to think of something funny and... nope. Nothing. Because right now my life is stressful and a bit uncertain. I don't laugh much anymore. The circumstances (that I know will pass, but still, they are here right now kicking my behind and weighing on my mind - no that does not mean my mind is in my behind!). They are not stealing my greater joy, but they are stealing moments of laughter, of sweetness, of productivity, of hope. IOW I am no fun lately.

I was going to go on about that but then as I was posting an email came through - a friend who's husband has been in the hospital for the better part of a year now wanted prayers for her mother in law who has cancer. Suddenly my problems seem pretty silly.

So instead of whining about the moments being stolen by thoughtless people, by the realities of the economy, by the shifting publishing marketplace, the shortcomings around my home and the distance between me and my family (who I'm convinced could make me laugh again, even if they didn't do anything but show up!), I am on my knees in gratitude for stolen moments. How wonderful that I do not feel the need to steal away from my life to grab at things that will never really make me happy. How precious to be in a position to pray for others. How sweet is this day.

Nothing can steal this realization from me - God is good and I am His.