Tuesday, November 27, 2012

What Has Gotten Into You?

I just shared a life lesson here - my take is pure fun but the lesson, taken from a children's sermon is one I honestly take to heart.

Yes, I admit it I often learn more things I can directly apply from children's sermons. Let's pretend that's because I'm a kid at heart and not because I have a short attention span

The lesson from the sermon: The minister gave a child a paper cup of water then bumped him. Water went everywhere. The kids squealed. The minister asked - why did water come out of the cup?
The kids ratted him out -  "YOU DID IT!". 
But he told them "Water came out of the cup because water was IN the cup."

And let's face it, life is full of bumps! Yes, that's a yellow Gremlin. I don't wonder why they show someone OUTSIDE of it to help sell it.
What is IN you is what comes out when you hit bumps in life.

That was kind of a long way around to tell you that today I am wondering what has gotten INTO people lately?

Over my many years of writing it seems that the review process has gotten meaner and meaner. Often little more than a thinly veiled attack on an author or topic.  I am not saying every review should be good. In fact, my motto is "If everyone likes my books than not enough people are reading my books." 

But when I read the reviews of books this past year I see a trend toward not just stating an opinion about the book but then to stretch beyond and in a backhanded way insult anyone who buys or reads and enjoys the book. That is what really gets my goat.


Okay, it's my cousin's goat but you get the idea.

I just don't understand the need to be so petty. I have tried to impress on my kids and any aspiring authors I've had the honor to teach and well, anyone who would listen, that what you put in writing always reveals something about who you are. Often time more than the topic you are writing about. 

How many f s in pffffttt?

So am I wrong? Has anyone else noticed that reviews are getting nastier? Less about the book and more about something else? What gives? Any thoughts? I'd love to hear them. 

PS - Word Verification is now OFF! I apologize, had no idea it was on. Yes, I really do need to do more good blogkeeping!