Thursday, February 3, 2011

Why Aren't You Planning a Visit to Louisville?

This is what I ask people all the time. I love my adopted hometown. I love the way it looks, I love the way it feels, I love the way it embraces eccentricities and arts with similar zeal. And I love the people. I especially love it when all of that converges!




as it did last spring when my husband and I were driving around old Louisville looking for a neighborhood pub to grab lunch and came across a corner lot treasure trove that made us stop.



We couldn't believe our eyes!


As we got out to admire what was clearly an homage to the art of the deal and the joy of junk, neighbors called out: "Stick around. He's on his way over to meet a guy. He might let you in."



He didn't let us in. He did enjoy us ooohing and ahhing and asking where he found this and what was that for. He also gave us a souvenir - a couple of never filled Billy Beer cans! Seems Falls Brewery in Louisville canned the stuff and when it went out of style, Jerry got a hold of the cans that had yet to be filled and has cases of them. He did say maybe we could come inside but then 'the guy' showed up and 'the guy' spoiled the fun by wanting to buy something -- and not wanting to meet Jerry's price. He was done. He had to things to do. More collecting I reckon.



If you are a fan of American Pickers on the History Channel then you saw bits and pieces of Jerry Lotz's little corner of chaos. Don't ask me where it is or how to get there - but if you're a friend or family and feel like paying us a visit, we wouldn't be opposed to driving around trying to find it again - because it was well worth getting lost to find this kind of treasure - and you might get your own Billy Beer can!